KALAMAZOO, MI (WKZO) – Today at 1pm, the Western Michigan Football Team hosts the Akron Zips (1-10, 0-7 MAC), in the regular season finale for both teams. The Broncos look for their 7th win of the season and boost their resume in attempts to be being invited to a postseason bowl game. A win against Akron would also give the Broncos a perfect 5-0 home record and would the 1th team in school history the team went undefeated at Waldo Stadium. Today is also senior day, as 20 seniors will be honored for their accomplishments during their time as Bronco Football Players.
1. Take Akron Seriously – Despite their horrible record, the Broncos cannot overlook the Zips. Akron posts a 2-21 record over the last two years, including a 56-10 loss last season against Western. The Zips would like nothing more than to ruin the Broncos chances of attending a bowl game and a loss today would severely hinder that opportunity.
2. Carder To White, Per Usual – In last year’s matchup against Akron, Carder threw for 372 yards in 5 touchdowns, including 168 yards to White and 2 touchdowns. It was announced earlier this week Jordan White was not named a Biletnikoff Award Finalist, despite leading the nation in receptions and receiving yards. Expect White to show voters today that they made a mistake leaving him off the finalist list.
3. Continue To Get Pressure On The Quarterback – Last week against Miami (OH), the Broncos defense had 7 sacks. While I don’t expect the Zips offense to score many points, continued pressure on Akron’s quarterback Clayton Moore, will only make it more difficult for them to put points on the board
4. Involve The Running Game – Akron is allowing 217 yards per game on the ground to opponents. We’ve seen all season that when Tevin Drake is given the opportunity to run the ball, he is successful. Drake has only 1 game of over 100 yards rushing and today is a perfect chance for him to get his 2nd 100 yard game of the season.
5. Finish Strong – With only a handful of college football games scheduled Friday, bowl selection committees will be focused on what the Broncos will do today. A loss will all but eliminate the Broncos from post season consideration, but a blowout win would show why this team deserves to be in a bowl game.
Prediction: WMU 56, Akron 10