KENTWOOD, MI (WKZO) - Many showed up for services at St. Mary’s Magdalene in Kentwood yesterday morning, only to learn that it had caught fire overnight and much of the sanctuary destroyed. Fire investigators today are checking reports that it may have been sparked by fireworks. Neighbors say they heard fireworks until well past midnight. The fire was first reported at about 1AM.
Parishioners say they are devastated. The building was insured and Bishop Walter Hurley says the Diocese will rebuild the church.