KALAMAZOO, MI (WKZO) -- We now know more about the case of a Kalamazoo woman who was severely burned by fireworks late Wednesday night. Public Safety says 38-year-old Maria Santos Vargas had been drinking and was lighting off ground effect fireworks known by professionals as a ‘cake’. Bundles of tubes that fire fountain effects, fire crackers and sparks into the air.
It’s a firework that became legal to buy and use in Michigan this year. They took her to the Bronson Hospital burn unit for emergency treatment.