BRONSON (WTVB) - A car was engulfed in flames early in Branch County’s Bronson Township, but the driver escaped injury in the blaze that was reported around 12:30 a.m. Janice Graycheck of Colon was driving her 2001 BMW on St. Joe Road south of U-S 12 when she noticed smoke coming out of the engine compartment. Graycheck pulled the car over to the side of the road and a short time later, fire consumed the vehicle. At first she attempted to call 9-1-1 but there was no service for her cell phone. She started walking down the road and a short time later, her husband, who had been driving ahead of her as the couple was returning home after a weekend at their lake cottage in northeast Indiana, spotted his wife and they were able to eventually complete a call for help. The car was declared a total loss with the value placed at $7,500. Bronson Deputy Fire Chief Ken Stutzman said an electrical short possibly sparked the blaze. Firemen, who received assistance from the Branch County Sheriff’s Department, were on the job for about 90-minutes.
Steve Gunn 5:30 PM - 8:00 PM
On Air Now.