COLORADO (WTVB) - Do you eat a lot of microwave popcorn? Have you ever wondered the safety of the chemicals inside the bag? Well, aColoradoman is receiving just over seven million dollars in damages from a federal court jury. The award comes after 59-year-old Wayne Watson developed a chronic condition known as "popcorn lung" from a chemical used in flavoring microwave popcorn. Watson charged the popcorn manufacturer and the supermarket chain that sold it were negligent because they failed to have warnings on labels that the butter flavoring, diacetyl, was dangerous. The condition is a form of obstructive lung disease that makes it difficult for air to flow out of the lungs and is irreversible. Jurors found Gilster-Mary Lee Corp liable for 80-percent of the damages and the King Soopers supermarket chain and its parent, Kroger Company, liable for 20-percent. A spokeswoman for King Soopers and Kroger says the companies will appeal.
Larry King 1:00 AM - 5:30 AM
Call the "DJ in PJs" at 1-800-833-9211 and maybe YOU will be on Classic Hits Radio with Late Night Larry!