BUTLER TOWNSHIP, MI (WTVB) - A house fire early yesterday in Branch County’s Butler Township that destroyed a two-story residence is a reminder of the importance of properly maintaining chimneys connected to wood burning heaters. That’s the word from Quincy Fire Chief Kurt Barve following the blaze on Clarendon Road. Barve says a lot of people will burn green wood and this time of year, the fires don’t get hot enough in those fire places to burn the creosote out.
The blaze at the Catherine Tucker residence was first reported as a chimney fire when the alarm came in around 3:30 yesterday morning. Tucker, who lives alone, was woke up by smoke in the home and ran next door to where he son lives. After calling 9-1-1, they returned to find the entire structure filled with smoke and the flames then quickly spread. There were no injuries. It took firemen from five departments some 3 hours to bring the blaze under control.