COLDWATER, MI (WTVB) - The Coldwater Fire Department is wrapping up its investigation after there was heavy damage in a three alarm house fire Friday night. There were no injuries from the blaze in Coldwater Township at 137 North Sanford Road. It was reported around 6:45 p.m. with heavy smoke and flames showing in the two story structure when firemen reached the scene.
The farm house is owned by Roger and Nancy Sanford and occupied by their son, Tim Sanford. Tim wasn’t home at the time, but his two teenage sons were and according to fire officials, they were cooking in the kitchen and left food unattended on the stove and it caught fire and quickly spread to the cabinets above the range and then raced out of control. Windy conditions fanned the flames, making the job even tougher for firefighters.
The Bronson and Lakeland Fire Departments provided mutual aide with manpower and tankers. Coldwater firemen were on the job until around midnight.