GUN LAKE, MI (WTVB) - Preliminary results from an autopsy on the body of 81-year-old Emma Jane Evans who died in a raging house fire in her Gun Lake home Wednesday, shows she died from smoke inhalation. She had been recovering from a hip fracture and wasn’t mobile. She did manage to call 9-1-1 but had difficulty hearing the dispatcher.
High winds fanned the flames, narrow streets blocked fire trucks and distant hydrants made fighting the fire difficult. Firefighters are still looking for a cause of the blaze.