COLDWATER, MI (WTVB) - The Coldwater Fire Department says thanks in part to an alert passerby, no one was hurt last night in a house fire west of Coldwater in Coldwater Township. It was around 9 o’clock when the alarm was turned in for the blaze at 387 Branch Road. That’s where John and Deborah Johnston live. Firefighters arrived to find heavy flames in the garage area extending into the kitchen and living room after the door from the garage was left open.
They were able to stop the fire damage from extending further into the one-story residence, which did sustain heat and smoke damage. The Johnston’s and their two dogs were able to escape after the passerby let the couple know about the fire in the structure located just south of M-86. Fire officials say the blaze was sparked by cigarette ashes tossed into a combustible container in the garage. The fire department was on scene for around 2-and-a-half hours