UNION CITY, MI (WTVB) - It was a somewhat soggy but by nearly all accounts a mostly safe Halloween across Branch County where the steady rain let up long enough for trick-or-treaters to collect a bag or two full of candy with just a little drizzle to bother with. Unfortunately, in Union Township, a double wide modular home was destroyed by fire last night and the owner and his two children discovered it ablaze when they returned from trick or treating. The alarm from 985 Olds Road at the Josh Gallup residence came in around 6:30 pm and Union City firemen found it engulfed in flames. The Coldwater and Burlington Fire Departments provided mutual aide.
Then around 12:30 am this morning, the flames rekindled and the structure was once again filled with fire. The cause of the blaze is believed to be accidental. The State Fire Marshall’s office will be assisting in the investigation.