COLDWATER, MI (WTVB) - For the second time in two days in Branch County, firefighters were called out in double digit below zero temperatures to battle a house fire. Shortly before seven this morning, the Coldwater Fire Department was sent to 35 Race Street where a blaze broke out in a second story back room. The occupants escaped without injury. The quick response by firefighters helped them contain the flames from spreading through the rest of the structure and the blaze was declared under control 30 minutes after they reached the scene just west of Clay street. The fire was electrical in nature and originated in a power strip cord.
Yesterday around 4 a.m., a 2-story home in Ovid Township on East Central Road was heavily damaged. The Lakeland, Quincy, and Coldwater fire departments fought the blaze. Thankfully, again, there were no injuries.