QUINCY TOWNSHIP, MI (WTVB) - Branch County had a smoke detectors save lives story happen overnight. A father and his teenage son escaped without injury when their home in Quincy Township filled up with smoke when a utility room fire broke out around 2 a.m. this morning. The Quincy Fire Department was toned out at 2:15 and got the blaze at the Gordon Bassage residence at 1014 Sebring Road extinguished in less than a half hour. Bassage said the smoke detector woke him up and he was able to quickly make his way through the thickening smoke to his son’s bedroom on the other end of the house, wake him up and get outside. The fire started near a water softener.
Firemen were on the job until around 4 a.m. It was the second early morning call for Quincy. Shortly after midnight, they were sent out to a Quincy-Grange road location south of Jonesville Road on a report of a wood pile on fire. It ended up being a controlled burn of pallets at an Amish sawmill. The fire department stayed on scene for a short time to make sure it was all under control before going back to the station.