COLDWATER, MI (WTVB) – St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church celebrated its 50th year Anniversary in the “new” church this past Sunday. The Most Reverend Father Mark Vyverman, Pastor, celebrated Mass on St. Charles Borromeo’s feast day, November 4, 2018 commemorating the anniversary. Following Mass, over 250 parishioners assembled in the Activities Building for dinner, visiting, and reminiscing.
The Most Reverend Father Gilbert Gruss oversaw the current church’s ground-breaking ceremony August 7, 1967. The Most Reverend Donn Taylor saw the completion of the church. The cost of the church was anticipated at $348,270.00.
The layout of the “new” church was dictated by the liturgy and developments of Vatican II. Upon completion of the church, the first Mass was celebrated October 20, 1968. His Excellency, Alexander Zaleski, Bishop of the Diocese of Lansing dedicated the church.
St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church has a long history in Coldwater. In the late 1840’s Catholic people began to settle in the Coldwater area. The first Catholic Mission was established in 1849 by Reverend Father Aegidius Smulders with eleven families. Most of them were Irish. In the beginning of the Mission Mass was celebrated in private homes.
In 1854, the present site on Harrison Street was purchased for the sum of $125.00 and a frame church was built. On June 6, 1857 hoodlums set fire to six kegs of stolen gun powder and blew up the church. Reports say the citizens of Coldwater were outraged and consequently contributed $900 towards rebuilding a small brick hurch.
In 1890 considerable damage was done to the church by a heavy windstorm. By1894, with the additional help of Polish and Italian families, the church was remodeled and enlarged. Farmers with horse and wagon brought stones from their farms to be used in the building of the new additions and exterior walls to the Church.
By 1967 this little stone church was also too small, and the current church was built. The little stone church, the convent, and ultimately the rectory were all demolished. In its place, the current church was built with a capacity for 750 parishioners.


